SELF Redesigns and Repositions to Grow Iconic Brand
The new SELF launches with 'triple cover issue' featuring Julianne Hough in March.February 12, 2013
The new SELF launches with the March issue, which carries a triple cover of Julianne Hough, and has a fun, fresh look and messaging for women who know that being active and healthy is beautiful, being strong is sexy and being healthy is in fashion. When women think about their lives, the topics of diet, fitness, health and beauty are all naturally integrated. Being healthy is a lifestyle, and SELF is their go-to guide.
Transcending the “body” category, the redesigned SELF brand, which includes a new look and voice across print and digital properties, as well as new marketing initiatives and an expansion into licensed products, focuses on key areas of a woman’s life—the physical, the emotional and the social self, and where these areas intersect.
“Healthy is chic, strong is beautiful, fit is fashionable!” said Lucy Danziger, editor-in-chief of SELF. “The new SELF helps women navigate the moments that lead to feeling awesome right now, and to achieving larger life goals. SELF’s message: You Got This!”
“SELF started the active lifestyle movement that’s now the mainstream,” said Laura McEwen, vice president and publisher of SELF. “Today’s women have a keen focus on body consciousness. This cultural phenomenon means that the body becomes inextricably linked to beauty and fashion. This shift is reflected in our beauty advertising, which has gone up about 20% year over year. With the reimagined SELF, and our highly affluent audience, we offer more targeted opportunities for beauty and luxury marketers than ever before.”
The magazine features a restructuring of the content into four sections that takes an integrated approach in covering fitness and health; nutrition and diet; beauty and fashion; and happiness and relationships.
- The first is an upfront section called FLASH, with news-related/trend-driven content that keeps a woman up-to-date so she can be the first to share repeatable tips or ideas to try (or skip) with her friends.
- “YOU+”—three main sections that talk directly to the reader and put her in the center of the conversation:
- YOU + LOOKS—offers readers beauty and fashion trends and how to personalize them, including hair, makeup, skincare, fragrance, fashion and accessories
- YOU + BODY—new workouts, fast, delicious food and everything a woman needs to live her healthiest right now
- YOU + LIFE—covers her keys to happiness: friendships, relationships, sex life, work, travel and money
- A conversational voice, addressing the moments where women need advice pronto, notably in new branded franchises like “You Look Awesome in That,” “Did You Do Something Different?” “Want It Now” and “Awkward!” These headings capture the way women speak to each other.
- Revamped visuals: photographs that reflect how young women photograph themselves in today’s digital age.
- New cover treatment and bolder, cleaner layouts developed in collaboration with renowned international design studio Pentagram.
With the March issue, SELF introduces the new smartphone app called “SELF+” which opens up dynamic digital content from the pages using image recognition technology that enables readers to unlock bonus digital content.