National Magazine Awards 2013 Finalists Announced
General Excellence, Print
News, Sports and Entertainment Magazines
Honors large-circulation weeklies, biweeklies and monthlies
Esquire; Fortune; National Geographic; New York; Wired
Service and Fashion Magazines
Honors women's magazines, including health, fitness and family-centric publications
Harper's Bazaar; O, The Oprah Magazine; Real Simple; Vogue; Women's Health
Honors food, travel and shelter magazines as well as city and regional publications
Bon Appétit; House Beautiful; Martha Stewart Living; Saveur; Texas Monthly
Honors magazines serving targeted audiences, including enthusiast and hobbyist titles
The Fader; mental_floss; MHQ: The Quarterly Journal of Military History; Outside; Scientific American
Literary, Political and Professional Magazines
Honors small-circulation general-interest magazines as well as academic and scholarly publications
MIT Technology Review; Mother Jones; The New Republic; The Paris Review; Poetry
General Excellence, Digital Media
Chow; Glamour; National Geographic; Pitchfork; Slate
Bon Appétit; Bullett; Details; New York; TIME
Bon Appétit; Interview; National Geographic; TIME; W
- Harper's Magazine for "The Water of My Land," photographs by Samuel James; September
- Martha Stewart Living for "A Pilgrim's Feast," photographs by Anna Williams; November
- National Geographic for "In the Shadow of Wounded Knee," by Alexandra Fuller; photographs by Aaron Huey; August
- New York for "What We Saw When The Lights Went Out," by John Homans; photographs by Iwan Baan, Pari Dukovic, Christopher Griffith, Casey Kelbaugh, Jeff Chien-Hsing Liao, Joseph Michael Lopez, Gus Powell, Joseph Rodriguez and Peter Yang; November 12
- W for "Good Kate, Bad Kate," by Will Self; photographs by Steven Klein; March
- Backpacker for "The Survival Issue," October
- Bloomberg Businessweek for "Election Issue," October 15-21
- Fast Company for "The World's 50 Most Innovative Companies," March
- Saveur for "The Mexico Issue," August/September
- Sports Illustrated for "Olympic Preview," July 23
- Bon Appétit for "Starters"
- Esquire for "Man at His Best"
- GQ for "The Punch List"
- HGTV Magazine for "Help Wanted"
- New York for "Strategist"