Boho, Ogden Publications, Melcher Media and University of Calif. Press Take Home 'Green' Awards
Melcher Media, which "translates big-ticket brands into books" (e.g., Harley-Davidson and HBO's "Entourage"), established its corporate sustainability policy this year. Included are goals to measure the company's carbon footprint by the end of the year and to reduce greenhouse gas emissions linked to the company's publishing operations by 20 percent by 2020, and by 80 percent by 2050. The company uses 13 percent recycled content paper in its book production, and 7 percent post-consumer recycled paper.
About the Awards
The 2009 SustainPrint Awards will be presented on March 23 at an awards dinner held during the Publishing Business Conference & Expo at the New York Marriott Marquis. For more information, visit http://www.PublishingBusiness.com (click on "events").
The SustainPrint Awards winners are selected from nominations by a panel of judges. The 2009 SustainPrint Judges were:
• Tyson Miller, executive director, Green Press Initiative
• Frank Locantore, Better Paper Project Director, Green America (formerly Co-op America)
• Andrew Van Der Laan, director, senior project manager, publishing operations project group, Random House Inc.
• Laura Hickey, senior director, global warming education, National Wildlife Federation
• Jennifer Alt, production and sustainability manager, Nickelodeon Magazine Group, and
• Emily Foote, managing editor, Chelsea Green Publishing.