EARTHCOLOR Powers Printing With 100 Percent Wind Energy
April 2007--West Orange, N.J.-based commercial printer Earthcolor has announced its commitment to purchase renewable wind energy from Community Energy. According to the company, wind energy is pure, endless and homegrown resource, and using clean, locally produced electricity makes a difference not only environmentally, but also by boosting the local economy as well. Wind farms create jobs and revenue--in landowner royalties and taxes for rural communties. Because turbines use less than 5 percent of the land on which they are sited, the remaining 95 percent can be used for other purposes, such as farming, ranching or forestry.
Earthcolor has purchased 25,002,000 kilowatt-hours (kWH) of clean, renewable energy each year from wind farms across the nation. The estimated environmental benefit of this purchase is equivalent to planting over 2.2 million trees or not driving over 29 million miles every year. (Emissions factors are based on the national average emmission rate based on 2004 data from eGrid2006 Version 1.0 Plant File.)