The 10 Best Magazine Publishing Companies to Work For
The “Best Magazine Publishing Companies to Work For” list is Publishing Executive’s annual ranking of companies that seem to embody the philosophy that a company’s employees are the key to its success. But being a great company isn’t just about offering a great benefits package (though that certainly helps). The companies that made the list this year create environments where employees are valued and respected professionally, but they also work to help enhance employees’ personal lives. Whether it’s through bonuses, fitness centers, sabbatical programs or super-flex flex time, these companies go the extra mile to keep their employees happy—and it shows.
1. GIE Media
U.S. Headquarters: Richfield, Ohio
CEO: Richard Foster
GIE Media publishes nearly 20 b-to-b trade publications (such as Garden Center, Today’s Medical Developments and Snow Magazine) and Web sites, and manages conferences in various industries.
• Number of new hires*: 10
• Rate of voluntary turnover*: 2%
• Bonus or incentive program for all employees: No
• Employee Stock Option/Profit-Sharing Program: No/Yes
401(k) or 403(b) savings program:
• Employer match: 65%
• Maximum match: 6%
• Paid holidays/year: 13
• Paid time off (PTO) includes: vacation, sick and personal time
• Vacation days available after 1 year of employment: 10
• Maximum # of vacation days: 25
• Sick days: 6
• Personal days: 4
Highlights: Both. Covers home Internet access, phones, supplies, etc. Employees must work on-site periodically.
• Option to work compressed work weeks: Yes
• Employee Assistance Program: Yes
• On-site exercise/fitness facilities: Gym.
• On-site fitness/wellness programs: No