National Geographic Named Magazine of the Year
(Press Release) New York, NY (May 9, 2011)—The winners of the 2011 National Magazine Awards were announced tonight at the annual awards presentation at 583 Park Avenue in New York City. National Geographic won two awards, including the award for Magazine of the Year. Los Angeles, New York and The New York Times Magazine also won two awards each, including General Excellence awards for Los Angeles and New York.
"The 2011 National Magazine Awards dinner was a true celebration of magazine media," said Sid Holt, chief executive of the American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME). "Writers, editors and publishers gathered tonight to honor not just the winners but all the nominees. The finalists this year ranged from literary and political magazines like Poetry and Mother Jones to mass-market publications like Good Housekeeping and People, but all of them have one thing in common: passionate readers who look to magazines for entertainment and enlightenment."
Known as the Ellies, for the Alexander Calder stabile "Elephant" given to each winner, the awards were hosted by Katie Couric, anchor and managing editor of the CBS Evening News, and were attended by more than 700 magazine editors and publishers. The sold-out event was highlighted by the presentation of the Creative Excellence Award to Tom Wolfe by Jann S. Wenner, editor and publisher of Rolling Stone and member of the Magazine Editors' Hall of Fame.
Among the awards presenters were two other members of the Magazine Editors' Hall of Fame: Richard B. Stolley, the founding editor of People, and Ellen Levine, the editorial director of Hearst Magazines. Ms. Levine presented one of the six General Excellence awards with Michael Clinton, President, Marketing and Publishing Director, Hearst Magazines, and chairman of MPA-The Association of Magazine Media. The presenters also included:
* James Bennet, editor-in-chief of The Atlantic, with the photojournalist Lynsey Addario
* Betty Wong, editor-in-chief of Fitness, with Rocco DiSpirito
* Mark Jannot, editor-in-chief of Popular Science, and James Oseland, editor-in-chief of Saveur
* Terry McDonell, editor of Sports Illustrated Group, with the rugby star Gareth Thomas
* Jonathan Dorn, editor-in-chief of Backpacker, and Kaitlin Quistgaard, editor-in-chief of Yoga Journal
* Michael Hastings, Rolling Stone contributing editor, and Gary Smith, Sports Illustrated senior writer and four-time National Magazine Award winner
* Nicholas Lemann, Dean and Henry R. Professor at the Columbia Journalism School, and Anna Jakubek, Osborn Elliott-National Magazine Awards Scholar at Columbia
* David Willey, editor-in-chief of Runner's World, with the champion triathlete Sarah Reinertsen
* Richard David Story, editor-in-chief of Departures, with David Copperfield
* Rosemary Ellis,editor-in-chief of Good Housekeeping, with Dr. Mehmet Oz
* Lucy Danziger, editor-in-chief of SELF, with Jillian Michaels
- Atlantic Inc.
- Cooking Light
- Entertainment Weekly
- ESPN the Magazine
- Fast Company
- Good Housekeeping
- Harvard Business Review
- House Beautiful
- IEEE Media
- Marie Claire
- People Magazine
- Rolling Stone
- Scientific American
- Sports Illustrated
- The New York Times
- Time Inc.
- Time Out New York
- Yoga Journal