Press Release: Introducing Physicians' Life Magazine
A top-notch editorial team will head the content, with all skewed to the physician audience. Dr. Gregory Hood, a practicing internist in Lexington, KY, has been tapped as Physician Editor, with Beth Weinhouse as Editorial Director. Dr. Hood has spent the last 15 years as a medical writer for Medical Economics, Medscape Business of Medicine and the Annals of Internal Medicine, among others. He is a member of many boards and committees and holds degrees from Johns Hopkins and the University of Louisville School of Medicine. Ms. Weinhouse brings decades of lifestyle magazine experience. She has worked at SELF Magazine, Parenting Magazine, Town & Country, Reader's Digest and other publications.
First issue features will include:
- Always on Call? The Dreaded Cocktail Party Consult: One hazard that comes with being a doctor is being on call-if unofficially-all the time. This article offers real doctors' experiences with social consults (some funny, some that went wrong), as well as recommendations for how to handle/deflect these confrontations.
- These Companies Offer Discounted Vacations to Doctors: Some airlines, cruises, and tour companies consider it a real plus if physicians take their trips. So much of a benefit that some offer discounts to doctors as an incentive. The idea is that if someone is injured on a cycling trip, or there's an illness on a cruise, it's great to have a few extra M.D.s around.
- A New Life for Old Medical School Textbooks: Most doctors have shelves full of medical textbooks from their med school days. But new studies and new findings mean these books become outdated very quickly and no longer useful. This is a fun, visual/photographic feature of crafts that use old textbooks as the raw materials.
- A Different Kind of Sports Doctor: A photographic feature on Dr. Nick DePace of Cherry Hill, NJ, and his collection of sports memorabilia-the largest in the world-worth more than $25 million. He is trying to open a museum of sports memorabilia in New Jersey.
- Medicine and Malbec: A profile on an emergency room physician who has a second career as a celebrated Argentine vintner: how she juggles both roles and what you should pour tonight.
- What's up (Funny) Doc: Physician/comic Zubin Damania, who uses the stage name ZDogg, tells about what it was like to grow up with a doctor dad.
Despite fears of print's imminent demise, Physicians' Life demonstrates that, above all, targeted, engaging content prevails-regardless of the platform. The magazine will be distributed to doctors across the country and can be visited online at PhysiciansLifeMag.com, as part of
SLACK's popular digital medical platform Healio.com.