Once the design was final, Watilo Blake output the final Quark file. She reports that she sent a copy to Unifoil so the vendor could measure the dimensions and tailor the substrate to the design.
"[Banta] ran the cover through the press three times-first to print the back cover, then to overlay the white ink, then to print our logo," Watilo Blake recalls.
The process was smooth, although not completely so. As expected, there was some variance in the ink positioning, approximately 1⁄8˝ vertically and horizontally, according to Hammerbeck. "So, we just made sure that the ink
overlapped that much on all sides." he states.
"The biggest production issue was how to handle the back cover," he asserts. "Since we used [UniLustre] on the front cover and spine only, the tack of the ink ended up pulling some [of the metallized surface] off, leaving us with a slightly ragged edge [as the seam between the metallized and regular stock]. There was nothing we could do about that."
If GCI were to use UniLustre again, Hammerbeck would prefer printing the entire cover on the substrate, either working with the back-cover advertiser to take advantage of the paper or running a dust cover.
"All in all, though, the project was well worth it," he declares. "We received more comments about this cover than any other I remember."
The feedback was overwhelmingly positive, Watilo Blake concurs. "I'd gladly do it again," she declares.
"[Designing the magazine cover] was fun and I learned a lot," she concludes. "If there's a next time, I might try different opacities of color over the foil, or create my own [hologram] instead of using an existing design. I've seen some pretty amazing samples from Unifoil."