The Top 10 Reasons We Fail
So why is it that many publishers fail in their attempt to tap the benefits of a data warehouse? There are many reasons, including:
1. Underestimating the time and resource commitment to build or maintain the database.
2. Not having the right support team in place once the database is delivered even if outsourced.
3. Not having a plan in place regarding how you will use the database once delivered and how you will quantify the benefits.
4. Inappropriate in scope—too broad or too narrow.
5. Not properly prioritizing deliverables—phased in approach.
6. Failure to shift the paradigm at the organization to an information-based decision approach.
7. Thinking that if you build the database profits will come.
8. Failure to realize that your No. 1 priority in the build is getting the data right.
9. Failure to fully assess costs of “add ons” relative to total database costs versus their benefits.
10. Once you have decided to go forward with the build of the marketing database, not saving promotional history or other data which is typically overwritten at the fulfillment house.