Tips for Effective Print Buying
Paula Jaworski, creative director for The HSUS, and John Condit, general manager for AARP publications, both manage high-volume print production for large, national associations. Their experiences have taught them a few valuable lessons about print buying, which they shared with PrintMedia:
• Constantly review print services and solicit bids.
• Compare printers' job estimates with actual costs for similar projects your staff has produced in the past.
• Never send a job out without a quote.
• Keep an eye on printers' prices when they are handling multiple elements of a campaign, such as press kits, brochures, letterhead, etc.
• Don't play the "nonprofit card."
• Combine your organization's separate print projects to create a larger "print package" to leverage in your print-buying negotiations.
• Go into negotiations with a plan.