Wendell Lotz Wins BISG First Annual Lifetime Achievement Award; Other Award Shortlists Announced
New York, New York (September 5, 2013) BISG is very pleased to announce the shortlist for the First Annual BISG Industry Awards and the winner of the Lifetime Achievement Award, to be presented at the Annual Meeting of Members on September 27, 2013, at the Yale Club in New York City.
The awards were open to nominations from the BISG membership and the shortlist selected by a jury.
1. Lifetime Achievement Award: Awarded to an individual for outstanding work on behalf of BISG over the course of their career, via meeting input, service on the Executive Board, or committee work.
Winner: Wendell Lotz, Vice President, Metadata, Ingram Book Group.
2. Friend of the Industry: Recognizing the individual whose work over the past year has gone above and beyond the requirements of his or her position and has contributed to the functioning of the publishing value chain as a whole.
- Tom Clarkson, Distribution Standards Consultant, Cumberland Systems Review Group
- Phil Madans, Director of Publishing Standards and Best Practices, Hachette Book Group USA
- Mike Shatzkin, Founder and CEO, The Idea Logical Company, Inc.
- Fran Toolan, Founder & "Chief Igniter," Firebrand Technologies
3. Industry Innovation Award: Recognizing the individual or company whose innovation in tools or processes has contributed to removing friction between trading partners and resulted in more efficient and profitable relationships.
- BookNet Canada
- Daisy Consortium
- Edelweiss (Above the Treeline)
4. Most Valuable Committee Participant: Recognizing the BISG committee member who, in the previous year, has made an outstanding contribution while reflecting BISG's core principle of solving industry challenges and finding opportunities through its member-run committees.
- Dave Cramer, Content Workflow Specialist, Hachette Book Group - Content Structure Committee
- Michael Olenick, Business Analyst, RR Bowker - Subject Codes Committee
- Tom Richardson, Bibliographic Manager, BookNet Canada - Metadata Committee
- Laurie Stark, Vice President, Publishing Operations Support, Penguin Random House - Identification Committee
5. Disruptor Award: Recognizing an individual and/or organization who fundamentally challenges what publishing is, and what it could be.
- Mark Coker, Founder, CEO and Chief Author Advocate, Smashwords
- Liza Daly, VP Engineering, Safari Books Online
- Allen Lau, CEO and Co-founder, Wattpad
- Dominique Raccah, Publisher and CEO, Sourcebooks, Inc.
The jury members are:
- Kyusik Chung, Vice President Operations & Business Development, GoodReads.com
- Sally Dedecker, Print & Digital Publishing Consultant and Education Director at BookExpo America, Sally Dedecker Enterprises
- Kelly Gallagher, Vice President, Content Acquisition, Ingram Content Group
- Ted Hill, President, THA Consulting
- Kat Meyer, Manager, Conferences and Community, Frankfurt Book Fair
- Carolyn Pittis, Managing Director, Welman Digital Media
Len Vlahos, BISG Executive Director, commented, "These awards reflect the incredible diversity, talent, and creativity in the publishing value chain. We congratulate the nominees and thank our very dedicated jury for selecting from an exceptional pool of nominees."
The awards will be presented at the BISG Annual Meeting of Members on September 27, 2013, at the Yale Club in New York. For more information about the Annual Meeting, click here.
About the Book Industry Study Group
The Book Industry Study Group, Inc. (BISG) is the U.S. book industry's leading trade association for policy, standards, and research. The mission of BISG is to create a more informed, empowered, and efficient book industry. Membership consists of publishers, manufacturers, suppliers, wholesalers, retailers, librarians, and others engaged in the business of print and electronic media. For over 35 years, BISG has provided a forum for all industry professionals to come together and efficiently address issues and concerns to advance the book community. Learn more about BISG at www.bisg.org.