Press Release: Wolters Kluwer Health Garners Five Major Wins at Annual BMA Medical Book Awards
LONDON (October 9, 2013) - Wolters Kluwer Health, a leading provider of information and business intelligence for students, professionals and pharmacy, today announced a total of 15 wins at the 2013 British Medical Association (BMA) Medical Book and Patient Information Awards. The company, and imprints it represents, were honored with five major prizes including four first-place "Category Awards" and the BMA Illustrated Book Award for best Illustrative text. In addition, the company received 10 "Highly Commended" awards for its Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (LWW) medical texts. Announced at BMA House, these annual awards are considered to be among the most prestigious and influential in medical publishing.
"We are thrilled and honored to have so many titles recognized by the BMA this year," said Susan Driscoll, President & CEO, Wolters Kluwer Health, Professional & Education. "It's a well-deserved acknowledgement to our authors, contributors and editorial teams. All of their skill and hard work has paid off and translated into some of the world's best and most innovative medical publishing."
Wolters Kluwer Health received four first prize wins out of a total of 21 BMA Book Awards by Category including:
- Osborn's Brain: Imaging, Pathology and Anatomy (Published by Amirsys; distributed by LWW)(Radiology)
- Manual of Cardiovascular Medicine, 4e(Cardiology)
- Visual Diagnosis and Care of the Patient with Special Needs(Health & Social Care)
- The Washington Manual of Surgical Pathology, 2e(Pathology)
The LWW title, Grant's Atlas of Anatomy, 13e, also was honored with the "BMA Illustrated Book Award," one of the six highly coveted "Special Awards" given this year. This special award is for the book or resource that makes the best use of visual media across all shortlisted entries. The award reviewer summed it up as, "This is a fantastic anatomy book which I consider a new leader in this field. The combination of images is varied and very effective. The use of realistic dissection illustrations, different radiological modalities, and colourful photographs are a pedagogical success."
A total of 10 LWW titles also were awarded "Highly Commended" designations by the judges, including:
- Complications in Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, 2e(Anaesthesia)
- Grant's Atlas of Anatomy, 13e (Basic and Clinical Sciences)
- Marks' Basic Medical Biochemistry, 4e(Basic and Clinical Sciences)
- Medical Physiology: Principles for Clinical Medicine, 4e(Basic and Clinical Sciences)
- Moss and Adams' Heart Disease in Infants, Children and Adolescents: Including the Fetus and Young Adult, 8e(Cardiology)
- Werner and Ingbar's The Thyroid: A Fundamental and Clinical Text, 10e(Internal Medicine)
- Histology for Pathologists, 4e(Pathology)
- Fundamentals of Diagnostic Radiology, 4e(also available as a 4 volume set)(Radiology)
- Acute Care Surgery(Surgery)
- Corman's Colon and Rectal Surgery, 6e(Surgical Specialties)
The annual BMA Medical Book Awards recognize outstanding contributions to the medical literature. According to the BMA website, 641 books were entered this year. In addition to 21 category prizes, special awards were made for best illustrated book, best student textbook, best book by young authors, and for a book that promotes better understanding of science. The awards were announced in London on September 17, 2013.
About Wolters Kluwer Health
Wolters Kluwer Health is a leading global provider of information, business intelligence and point-of-care solutions for the healthcare industry. Serving more than 150 countries and territories worldwide, Wolters Kluwer Health's customers include professionals, institutions and students in medicine, nursing, allied health and pharmacy. Major brands include Health Language®, Lexicomp®, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Medicom®, Medknow, Ovid®, Pharmacy OneSource®, ProVation® Medical and UpToDate®.
Wolters Kluwer Health is part of Wolters Kluwer, a market-leading global information services company. Wolters Kluwer had 2012 annual revenues of €3.6 billion ($4.6 billion), employs approximately 19,000 people worldwide, and maintains operations in over 40 countries across Europe, North America, Asia Pacific, and Latin America. Follow our official Twitter handle: @WKHealth.