ABM Annual Conference Greatest Hits
Much has been written about ABM merging under the umbrella of SIIA. But much more was going on during the annual meeting of the 100+-year-old Association of Business Information & Media Companies a fortnight ago in Florida.
There were many insightful presentations given by industry leaders and vendors. I’m going to share bullet-point highlights of some of the excellent information which was shared.
- Put users at the center of what you do. Your audience database is your greatest asset and should provide you great insights. Use what you learn to stop spamming people.
- Cross-platform content is the key to good marketing for your advertisers. Cross-platform strategy must include mobile. More than a third of an ABM reader sampling used mobile to access B2B information no less than weekly.
- Recognize that users of content in different channels are different people. The way devices are used is different from the way websites are used. From the perspective of the reader, the question is not how to get a magazine into a phone.
- Readers and advertisers are clamoring for mobile solutions. This is a direct connection to customers for marketers. The click-through rate on mobile is 8x that on a website. Is the industry lagging behind?
- When we can monetize content, the issue of cost is less relevant. Proper online taxonomy allows you to present marketing message during “the discover stage” in the buying cycle. Such “Intent Data” is perishable. When a reader shows intent to buy something, that is the time to hel your advertisers reach them.
- It is difficult to get sales reps to sell packages with multiple platforms. Your sales force doesn’t understand how to sell audience data. It may take more training; it may take hiring from outside the industry.
This was a mash-up of information from many presenters, even within each bullet point. My apologies to those whose pearls of wisdom have been so cavalierly used here; but if I added proper editorial attribution it would be impossible to read.
You can view the actual presentations here: http://epub.net/pQU0
Andy Kowl is a journalist and entrepreneurial publisher with more than 30 years developing, marketing and growing publishing companies. He is senior vice president of publishing strategy for ePublishing Inc., the leading enterprise publishing system (EPS) provider which manages content, audience data, workflow, newsletters and e-commerce for hundreds B2B online publications. He helps publishers increase reader engagement and response by integrating behavioral data with contextual content, and shows them direct ways to monetize the results. Andy writes the B2B Beat blog for Publishing Executive magazine. His background in B2B includes publishing, editing and/or owning magazines and information products covering specialty retail, horse breeding, real estate, credit unions, Wall Street compliance and wireless technology.