10 Production Tips for the New Year
6. Get into the fold. Folding options are an especially effective and economical way to generate more revenue. A research study from Starch Research indicates that nothing pulls like cover ads, and special folds attract even more attention. Gatefolds are the most popular with single gates providing a powerful cover spread on either the front or back cover.
7. Get personal. Nothing draws attention like personalization, and today's advanced imaging and bindery technologies allow you and your advertisers to speak with readers one-to-one, beginning with the cover.
8. Drive more results for your advertisers. Recommend the inclusion of URLs on ads to drive website traffic. A study shows the biggest lifts in women's service (198%), home (203%), and travel (286%) categories vs. ads with no URL. Help advertisers further improve tracking with coupons, special pricing, landing pages, subscriber surveys, etc.
9. Match personalized inserts to the subscriber's name. New technology employing an optical character recognition (OCR) system can selectively insert highly personalized pre-printed covers, outserts and ads. This capability can be installed on any type of finishing equipment-stitcher, binder or polybagger-to enable one-to-one messaging for your advertisers.
10. Scrub those mailing lists. Update your mailing lists and use good list hygiene practices. There are horror stories from the postal front about associations and other publishers not updating membership lists and having huge numbers of undeliverable magazines. Undeliverable mail is pure waste that negatively impacts the environment and your budget.