1. Consider branding in your selection of a solution.
2. Select a solution that enables you to tap digital’s full potential, such as interactivity, scrolling images, audio and video enhancement capabilities, etc.
3. Promote your digital edition throughout your Web site, in your e-newsletters, in your print publications, through blogs, and on other relevant sites to boost subscriptions and take advantage of subscription-mailing savings.
4. Encourage subscribers to pass the digital editions on to friends/colleagues.
5. Evaluate your long-term needs before deciding on a solution.
6. Compare costs of licensing software vs. paying a per-page fee.
7. Weigh the pros and cons of fixed fees vs. variable fees, such as those charged per number of subscribers.
8. Consider your need for “templates” for various ad and content scenarios in advance.
9. Consider what the digital edition solutions provider doesn’t do as much as what it does. Does it embed advertisements for its company in your users’ digital edition experience? Does it require readers to download software to view it?
10. View digital editions as long-term investments rather than as just an immediate cost.