7 Pitfalls to Avoid With Digital Editions
The 2008 Digital Magazine Symposium was held Tuesday in conjunction with the Publishing Business Conference & Expo at New York’s Marriott Marquis Time Square. Produced by Publishing Executive magazine, the Symposium was chaired and keynoted by Peter Meirs, Vice President of Production Technologies for Time Inc. In addition to a rousing debate on the future of digital magazines, the Symposium featured presentations by PennWell’s Gloria Adams and Access Intelligence’s Sylvia Sierra, both of whose companies are effectively monetizing digital editions.
Below are seven tips from Adams and Sierra on “pitfalls to avoid” when implementing your strategy for digital editions.
1. Don’t choose a vendor based on price alone.
2. Get to know your rep—this relationship is important.
3. Check the turnaround time to turn files into a digital product.
4. Make sure the digital edition can be distributed faster than print.
5. Make sure you reduce your print run accordingly.
6. Educate [your] sales [staff] on what you’re doing.
7. Don’t assume user-friendliness; test the product from your subscribers’ perspective.