ASME Announces Magazine of the Year 2013 Finalists
NEW YORK, NY (April 8, 2013)—The American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) today announced the National Magazine Awards 2013 finalists in the Magazine of the Year category, which honors the achievement of editorial excellence in all Magazine Media, including print, online, tablets and smartphones. The Magazine of the Year finalists will be honored at the National Magazine Awards Annual Dinner on Thursday, May 2, at the New York Marriott Marquis. The finalists in the other categories were announced last week.
The Magazine of the Year finalists and the other awards for which they are nominated are:
- Esquire (General Excellence, Print; Magazine Section; Personal Service; and Tablet Magazine)
- Glamour (General Excellence, Digital Media)
- National Geographic (General Excellence, Print; General Excellence, Digital Media; Photography; Feature Photography; Website; Tablet) Magazine; and Multimedia
- New York (General Excellence, Print; Design; Feature Photography; Magazine Section; Essays and Criticism; and Columns and Commentary)
- TIME (Design; Photography; and Multimedia)
The preeminent awards for magazine journalism, the National Magazine Awards were established in 1966 by the American Society of Magazine Editors and are sponsored by ASME in association with the Columbia School of Journalism. Nearly 260 publications entered the National Magazine Awards this year, submitting 1,636 entries in 24 categories; 62 magazines were nominated in one or more categories. The judges included 330 magazine editors, art directors and photography editors as well as journalism educators.
The American Society of Magazine Editors is the principal organization for magazine journalists in the United States. ASME members include the editorial leaders of most major consumer and business magazines published in print and online. Founded in 1963, ASME works to defend the First Amendment, protect editorial independence and support the development of journalism.