Marines Launch Free iPad Magazine App
(Press Release) Silver Spring, Md. Oct. 25 — Bates Creative Group, a national award-winning graphic design firm, today announced that it has created an iPad application for Marines magazine, the official publication of the United States Marine Corps. The release makes Marines magazine the first military magazine to be designed exclusively for use on Apple’s iPad.
The digital edition of the publication became available for download on Oct. 22.
The iPad app for Marines magazine and the magazine itself are both available for free download from the iTunes App Store. Subsequent issues, complete with a host of exclusive interactive and multimedia content, will also be available for free.
“As Marines, we take pride in our firsts. First to fight our nation’s battles, first to perfect modern amphibious warfare, and leaders in military action and peacekeeping operations,” says Marines magazine editor Lt. Col. Greg Reeder. “Now Marines magazine brings another first—the first official U.S. military iPad magazine.”
The Marines iPad magazine app is the result of a collaboration between Bates Creative Group, Marines magazine and Maslyn Interactive.
“Apple’s touch-screen technology, coupled with the iPad’s high-resolution screen and multiple orientations, makes this the perfect new medium to showcase the Marines’ engaging content and stunning photography,” says Seth Sirbaugh, Creative Director for Bates Creative Group.
The Marines iPad magazine app gives you the ability to download each digital issue through iTunes and to read and store as many digital issues as you’d like within the same app.
The Marines iPad magazine includes the following regular sections:
* Scuttlebutt – The latest word on new weapons and technologies
* Get Some – Benefits, methods and means to physical training, Marines-style
* Portrait and Profile – One on one with Marines making a difference
* Corps Lore – History and traditions
* Corps Shots – What’s happening on bases and stations Corps-wide
* Knowledge Test – Military skills and know-how challenge
* On Liberty – Ideas on how to spend those hard-earned hours away from the duty hut
* From the Trenches – Tour with the Corps’ battle-hardened devil dogs for a look at deployment life
* Unit Profile – Insight into unique missions of select units
* Boondoggle –Fill the gaps in the little things you may have wondered about or didn’t even realize you wanted to know about the military
Highlights of the Marines magazine iPad app include:
* Exclusive bonus stories not available in the print edition.
* Video clips of Marine Corps actions and interests.
* Unique gallery of some of the Marines’ best pictures.
* Specialized interactivity including landscape and portrait modes, scroll navigation and customizable font size.
To view a teaser video of Marines iPad magazine in HD, visit http://bit.ly/aWog4u.
About Bates Creative Group
Bates Creative Group is a national award-winning graphic design firm specializing in magazine redesign, branding, Web design, event marketing and the development of integrated marketing communications. Based in the Washington, D.C., area, Bates Creative has received more than 60 design awards for its work for organizations as diverse as Cisco Systems, the American Marketing Association, the Land Trust Alliance, the Pentagon Memorial Fund and the U.S. Marine Corps. For more information, visit www.batescreativegroup.com.
About Marines Magazine
Marines® magazine is the official flagship publication of the United States Marine Corps. Marines delivers unique, useful and innovative information on operations, equipment, education and training, sports, entertainment and policy. For feature stories and content about the Marines, covering everything from combat to fitness, awards, editorials and more, visit Marines magazine at http://marinesmagazine.dodlive.mil/.