Data was one of the most buzzworthy topics of 2015, and Publishing Executive covered the subject extensively. We dove into data-driven strategies at our Publishing Executive Live events, hosted multiple instructional webinars on data analytics, and dedicated an entire magazine issue to the topic of data. In 2015, we reported on how publishers are utilizing data to guide content strategy, better target email campaigns, develop qualified leads for advertisers, and create personalized web experiences. Although audience data is not new to the magazine industry, how publishers collect and use data has changed drastically, even within the last year.
Here we’ve gathered some of the best articles from 2015 that demonstrate the innovative and profitable ways that publishers are utilizing their data assets.
- The Data Evolution: How Publishers Are Using Data to Become More Audience-Centric - Executives from Hanley Wood, Active Interest Media, and Slate discuss their strategies for utilizing data to better serve audience and develop new revenue streams.
- Navigating Uncharted Waters in Lead Generation - Active Interest Media's SVP of digital and data Jonathan Dorn explains how AIM is using data to launch a unique lead generation campaign in the cabin enthusiast space.
- How ALM is Capitalizing on Behavioral Data - ALM’s chief digital officer and president of ALM Intelligence Jeffrey S. Litvack and senior director of business intelligence Robert Shultz describe how ALM uses behavioral data to maximize its marketing efforts and prevent opt-outs.
- How Publishers are Using Content Analytics to Drive Strategy - In this webinar, leaders from The Atlantic, IEEE Spectrum, and Parse.ly examine how data can inform content strategy and offer advice for developing a “data culture” within a publishing company.
- The Death of the Pageview - At Publishing Executive Live: Executive Summit on Digital Media, executives from ALM, Hearst Digital, and Condé Nast argued that scroll-down, loyalty metrics, and shares are the best benchmarks for gauging audience engagement -- not the pageview.
- The Basics of Content Analytics for Publishers - Conrad Lumm provides practical tips for using Google Analytics to better inform content and business strategies.
- How Publishers are Using Email to Develop & Monetize Audiences - This free webinar explores why email is one of the most underrated tools for building media audiences and demonstrates how behavioral data and targeted email campaigns can drive greater revenue.
- How Hanley Wood is Building on Data - CEO Peter Goldstone shares his experience transitioning from a traditional B2B publisher to a company focused on marketing and information services.
- Audio: Why The Financial Times Adopted Cost-Per-Hour Ad Metrics - U.S. commercial director and global client relationship director Brendan Spain explains how The Financial Times is using smart audience data to sell ads on a cost-per-hour basis, as opposed to CPM.