Texterity Releases Ground-Breaking 2009 Digital Edition Reader Survey Results, Certified by BPA Worldwide
SOUTHBOROUGH, MA (June 8, 2009) --- Texterity, Inc., a leading provider of digital publishing solutions, released its fourth annual BPA Worldwide-certified survey results in the Profile of the Digital Edition Reader. This year, both magazines and newspapers were represented. This survey is the most comprehensive profile of digital edition (also known as digital magazines, e-magazines, and e-editions) reader preferences available. The readers surveyed represented a mix of one-third consumer publication readers and two-thirds business readers. The survey polled 33,784 respondents representing 164 publications and 55 publishers of consumer, trade, professional, and association publications.
The key findings included:
• Digital edition reader satisfaction rates remain high, with 90% of readers “very satisfied” or “satisfied” with their digital edition from Texterity.
• Digital edition readers are highly engaged with the digital edition, with 92% reading their digital edition the same week.
• Over 61% of digital readers have read 3 or 4 of the last four issues, comparable to the rate for a typical print reader.
• The top three reasons that subscribers cite for reading digital editions are again environmental friendliness, ease of saving, and the ability to search issues. This year’s research indicates “more convenient than print” and “more timely than print” as other important factors.
• Digital edition readers engage frequently with advertisers via in-publication links or advertising overlays within digital editions. More than 91% take one or more actions when reading their digital editions; over half visit an advertiser’s website. Among business publication readers, 79% rely on digital editions to “get information to do their jobs better.”
Other highlights of the survey:
• Digital readers are online enthusiasts who prefer electronic sources and see value in rich media enhancements. They have increased their use of websites, social media, e-letters, blogs, wikis, and podcasts.
• The desktop (74%) and laptop (63%) computer continue to be favorite ways to read digital editions, but this year, over 25% want “smart phone” access from devices such as the iPhone, and there is a growing interest in the Kindle and other e-reader devices
Digital editions are popular across age groups and genders. The median age of the digital edition reader in this survey is 41.6 years old, and the median business reader has over 13 years of industry experience.
• “Digital editions are here in a big way, and what’s new this year is the higher level of engagement and desire to read using various devices beyond the desktop,” said Cimarron Buser, SVP of Marketing and Business Development for Texterity. “We’ve learned that our consumer and business readers have similar preferences and reading styles. Video has increased in importance – 65% find it useful -- and readers specifically called out the iPhone as a mobile device of choice,” he added. “This data allows Texterity’s publishers to better communicate with advertisers and agencies in developing creative new ways to tap this growing and valuable audience.”
For a list of participating publishers, and a detailed breakdown of the survey’s questions and responses, go to http://www.texterity.com/survey.
Texterity, Inc. creates, maintains, and tracks more than 1,000 digital publications for trade, consumer, association, and niche publishers. Fast, vivid browser-based technology, powerful search and clipping, strategic consultative services to drive circulation and ad revenue, mobile delivery, SEO, audit-compliant reporting, social networking and website integration distinguish Texterity as an industry leader. Texterity provides the only true no-download solution, easily accessed on any computer, iPhone, or iPod touch. Consumer publications can be enjoyed on Texterity’s magazine service at http://www.coverleaf.com. Named as an “EContent 100” company to watch, Texterity is privately held and headquartered in Southborough, MA.
About BPA Worldwide
A not-for-profit organization since 1931, BPA Worldwide is governed by a tripartite board comprised of media owners, advertising agencies and advertisers. Headquartered in Shelton, Connecticut, USA, BPA has the largest membership of any media-auditing organization in the world, spanning more than 30 countries. Worldwide, BPA serves more than 2,900 media properties—including over 1,900 B-to-B publications, more than 500 consumer magazines, 150 newspapers, 300+ web sites, 65 events, email newsletters, databases, wireless and other advertiser-supported media—as well as more than 2,600 advertiser and agency members. Visit www.bpaww.com for the latest audit reports, membership information and publishing and advertising industry news.
Director of Marketing
Manager, Communications 203-447-2873