Seven Great Tips for Social Media from EWIP’s Women’s Leadership Conference
Exceptional Women in Publishing’s Women's Leadership Conference, held last week in San Francisco, offered publishing’s women leaders tips, tactics, and strategies for their content publications. A few from the social media front:
- Images pull four times (or more) better than any other media type. Include images in every single thing you post.
- Update content directly, not through apps. Facebook’s algorithm is more likely to weight your content as relevant to your followers, and hence show it on their news feeds, if the content is posted directly than if it is autoposted.
- Find out who is reading what, and when. A blogger might want to post a fun piece on a Friday night—followers might be more likely to be read it over Saturday morning coffee than on Tuesday afternoon at the office.
- Use Facebook Insights to find out when to post what. Spend one week posting every day at the same time every morning, the next week posting at the same time every evening. Learn when you get the best response.
- A popular columnist can retweet a link up to five times and continue to get new retweets each time. The trick—update the text and add an ‘in case you missed this’ to keep it fresh.
- Turn on your social extensions in your Adwords Account to add the social signal to your ads—it will increase clickthrough 5-10%.
- Choose quality over quantity; what you put out is a reflection of your brand. Get it right so your brand looks great, even if you don’t get out there first.
Many thanks to the exceptional women who offered these tips: Colleen Holland, associate publisher at VegNewsMedia; Kat Lesniak, development director at Bitch Media; Karen Wickre, Editorial Director at Twitter; Maya Grinberg, social media manager at Wildfire by Google; and Goli Mohammadi, senior editor at Maker Media.
Linda Ruth, as president of PSCS Consulting (www.PSCSConsulting.com), offers communication companies worldwide the keys to magazine launches, search engine optimization and audience development online and at retail. She is a pioneer in the fields of Online Audience Optimization (OAO) and gamification for content publishers. Her books, "Internet Marketing for Magazine Publishers" ; "How to Market your Newsstand Magazine"; and "Secrets of SEO for Publishers" can be found on Amazon. Find her online at Google Plus, Magazine Dojo, LinkedIn, and Twitter @Linda_Ruth.